Tuesday 15 September 2009

102 minutes that changed...the world


This is actually a documentary that aired on channel 4 about a week ago. It was different to all the others I've seen on 9/11 as it went through the event in real time, i.e. the catastrophy lasted 102 minutes back in 2001 and we saw all 102 minutes of it in this documentary. It wasn't professional footage however, just ordinary people's video's and what they captured that day. This will sound stupid, but it seemed more realistic than the others I'd seen, it's like you were there with them, rather than just watching it.

It sounds awful, but I was glued to the TV screen, I found it captivating. There was one particular piece of footage that shocked me; a young man showing us around the lobby of the North Trade Centre after the South one had collapsed. Knowing what was going to happen but not exactly when made this hard to watch. My friend and I were literally screaming at the TV when we saw firefighters walking towards the North Trade Centre right before it collapsed.

It was an awful thing that happened and this documentary was shocking to watch, but compelling at the same time. It made you realise the amount of devestation it caused at what real people were doing and thinking at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment