Friday 25 September 2009

Guggenheim





Last time I came to New York I didn't get to visit this internationally renowned museum, as we came on the only day it was closed. So as you can imagine, I've been dying to go again and explore this significant art museum and architectural icon.
I will be honest, I was expecting more artists' work for the money I paid to get in, but I did happen to love the main artist on display; Vasily Kandinsky (who I will mention more in another post on this blog). I was also blown away by the architecture of this place, it just stood out from all the rest of the buildings in New York, it really is one of a kind in this City. But what more could you expect from Frank Lloyd Wright, who is famous for his unique designs. He once said that he thought that art museums lacked atmosphere, so here he wanted to create more than just a space to hang paintings. He definitely achieved this, I was impressed with many aspects of the museum, but especially the spiriling gallery. It's just so simple yet captivating, you could tell from everyone's awed expressions that this was impressive.

Another great thing about this gallery, was that you were given audio commentary, so you could select certain paintings and hear all about them. People tend walk and look at the paintings at different paces, so being able to choose what you listened to was really interesting and useful. Overall I would say that I did enjoy the Guggenheim, the fact that it's visually stimulating itself really does help to reflect the art work inside. Shame about the admission price, but truly inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment