Friday 25 September 2009

A View From the Top





I have very recently been to New York for my 21st. Obviously this trip was about celebrating my birthday, but I was also wanted to explore, visit the sights and get a better sense of the culture. I've been before on a University trip, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but it felt quite rushed, so I was hoping to slow down a bit and see as much as possible.

So as you can imagine the next few posts will be all about New York: it's museums and amazing architecture that it's become famous for. Here is one of the most iconic buildings in the World; The Empire State Building. Most people know it for being the tallest building in New York, but there are a couple of interesting and inspiring facts you may not know. For example, this building was built in just over a year back in 1930, which at 102 floors is shocking. However this might have something to do with the fact it was at the centre of a competition for the tallest building, between Walter Chrysler and Jakob Raskob. So if you want a building built well and fast, then form a competition! But in all seriousness, I really was blown away by this building, it's not the prettiest in New York, but it has history and character and obviously amazing views.

No comments:

Post a Comment