Wednesday 2 September 2009

500 Days of Summer...



As soon as I saw the poster for this film, I knew I had to see it. It looked funny and romantic, but quirky also. It was certainly all these things and more.

Tom, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt (famous for his role in 3rd rock from the sun) automatically falls for Summer (Zooey Deschanel), but does she feel the same? We see how Tom and Summer's relationship grows and changes throughout the 500 days. This film can be descirbed as a romantic comedy, but one with a twist. It doesn't follow that boring narrative that all others feel they have to abide by in order to be successfull. There's a non-linear structure present that is made less confusing by the numbered days. It flicks from say the 100th day, to the 350th day and then back to the 60th day, which makes for a very interesting narrative that keeps you on your toes.

This might ruin the ending (sorry!) but it doesn't end how you'd expect. However still finishes in a way you can walk out of the cinema smiling, which I like. Films either end the way you don't want them to, to be different, which is disappointing, or end like all the others making them predictable. This had a different and refreshing feel to it.

I was particularly impressed with the interesting techniques the director/editor used, for example, the split screen that occurs towards the end of the film. It depicted what Tom wanted to happen, and what actually happened (i.e. reality) side by side, which I thought was quite clever and really intrigued the eye.

Overall I would recommend this film to anyone who wants to see an offbeat romantic comedy, something a bit different. It isn't for everyone (as I learned from the girl next to me walking out of the cinema) but I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment